Sunday, March 6, 2011

Chop Chop



More or less, for the past decade or so, only about 3-4 times a year, I've gotten a haircut at the same place - a hair salon called U2 (and it has nothing to do with Bono) in Troy. My mom knows the owners, who are all Chinese, and I would go there with my mom way back before I could drive. They're relatively inexpensive, very nice people, and they always do a fine job with chopping down my Half-Asian Mullet (HAM). I've only gone to some other location for a haircut a handful of times, including Lady Jane's Haircuts for Men (attractive ladies in skimpy outfits in a sports bar atmosphere doesn't work well when you're blind and have to take your glasses off when you get your haircut. Plus, no beer/liquor license. Not wicked awesome.)

So I started going there before I could drive. After I received my license, which would be in the 2002/3 timeframe, whenever I would get my haircut I would drive myself. I'm not exactly one for small talk, so for the most part I've sat there in relative silence while the guy cuts my hair. It's also not just an issue of my awkward lack of small talk social skills, but all the employees speak English as their second language.

But even beyond that is one thing that has always bothered me: For damn near a decade, the same guy has cut my hair, and I don't know his name. I think about this every single time I go or think about going, here's a guy that has handled how I look for such a long time, but I don't know his name. We're years upon years too late for me to ask what his name is, so for quite awhile I've resigned to the fact that I don't know his name.

Is that wrong of me? I mean, how long can you go without knowing someone's name?

In other news, daaaamn I look good.

No comments:

Post a Comment